Friday, October 26, 2007

Vocabulary lessons

Today I spent some time talking with a French national who is currently working as a midwife in Africa. She has been there for a number of years and I wanted to pick her brain. We began talking about some of the most common illnesses in her region and the conversation quickly turned technical. There is some cross-over between the medical vocab in English and French because most of the words have roots in either Greek or Latin, but I realized I have a lot of learning to do! For example, how do you say post-streptococcal glomerulonephritis in French?! No idea. I felt like someone put duct tape over my mouth, no longer allowing me to use the repitoire of words I had spent so many years learning! The good news is I still greatly enjoy this language and that the Bible tells me all things are possible through Jesus Christ who strenthens me....otherwise I might have run away already:-)

No comments: