Monday, March 17, 2008

What do you mean I'm white?!

I looked down at my feet yesterday and was surprised that they were white! After being around Africans for the past two months, some of my perceptions have changed.

For example, church will last a minimum of three hours, there is no limit to how many people you can fit on a motorcycle and anything can be carried on the head....anything. Chicken is rarely worth the work to eat it, since the poor things have no muscle to spare, and boule made from millet flour is not half bad. Being stared at in public, having children touch your car and chase your bicycle is not at all rude, but perfectly normal. Greetings are no longer a simple “Hi, how are you?” but rather “Hi, how are you, how is your health, your family, the heat, the work, are you fatigued”...etc:-)

The other day, I realized that I was riding my bicycle with one hand, holding my skirt down with the other, dodging goats and a woman carrying water on her head in 105 degree heat while bumping over potholes.

Lord willing, I think I can do this:-)

No comments: