Friday, August 15, 2008

Pagnes

Here in our part of Cameroon, most of the women wear "pagnes" which consist of a wrap-around cotton skirt with matching blouse, head cover and shoulder wrap. The colors are crazy and the patterns can be quite amusing.

I have decided to keep a list of the different patterns I have seen.

This list will be updated periodically:-)

Here goes...

1. cellular phones 2. perfume bottles 3. billiard balls 4. gas pumps 5. hair dryers 6. fans (electric and hand held) 7. chickens 8. the president of Cameroon, Paul Biya 9. high heeled shoes 10. parrots 11. peacocks 12. playing cards 13. armchair (complete with side table and lamp) 14. bowls of fruit 15. apples 16. light bulbs 17. gas lanterns 18. stacks of money 19. champagne flutes 20. windmills 21. whales 22. bulldozers 23. birdcage (complete with bird) 24. cuckoo clock 25. tubes of paint 26. turkey, dressed for cooking 27. the Taj Mahal 28. crawfish 29. chandeliers 30. balloons 31. ladders 32. cars on a street with trees 33. raffle tickets 34. toasters

That's all for now, I will keep you updated!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sarah!

I just spent the last hour or so reading through all your blog postings. I didn't really intend to read everything all at once, but after I started I kept on going. I read everything through backwards of course, which was a cool way to do it. What an adventure you are on! I can only imagine how difficult it can be at times, but you have purpose and direction. This may seem funny, but it makes me think of our old family dog Ally. She was a happy dog, but she would get very excited if I walked out of the house with a shovel or some other tool. She would follow close by me so interested to find out what work we would be doing. It surprised me that she understood so clearly the concept of doing a job and that she wanted to help. She loved more than anything having a purpose and helping her master! I wouldn't want you to take offense at me comparing you to a dog, Sarah, but that's what I'm doing. Sorry. ;)
I'm glad you got our wedding invitation. I hope it won't be too long before Hannah and I have a chance to meet up with you in person! I love you and will keep you in my prayers!

Bill