Monday, September 15, 2008

Trust

This morning during rounds, the doctor and I started ward 3 together.

I saw and greeted the husband of one of my previous patients. His wife was back in the hospital a 3rd time in 2 months for respiratory difficulty. In all of my dealings with this couple they have shown intelligence and understanding, patience and kindness.


However, this morning, the husband was obviously concerned and told me that his wife's status had worsened. But before I was able to see her, I was called away to another ward, and left the doctor to finish the rounds on her own.


Later that afternoon, an examinateur came and found me, stating that this patient was in severe respiratory distress and I was needed right away. Upon our arrival, we saw that she was unresponsive and breathing with great difficulty. As I entered the room, the husband looked at me and in a choked voice stated “I wanted you to see her this morning...”


God bless this sweet man. Desperate to save his wife, he believed that I could help him. He trusted me...not knowing that I am powerless.


I just coordinate care, it is God who saves lives.

I placed my hand on his shoulder and told him truthfully that his wife's case was serious, that we had done everything in our power to bring her back to health, and that he had done an excellent job caring for her. After taking all the emergency measures possible, the team left the room.


Shortly afterward, she died.


Her husband shook my hand and thanked me and the team for our help and kindness. He then sat outside in shock and grief as his family packed their belongings for the journey home.

1 comment:

Chi Alpha at CMU said...

Sarah, I am so glad that you can lean on our big God for this job. Just reading your blog makes me desperate for more of Jesus, I can't imagine what it is like going through all of that. I see that you need our prayers more then you need money!

I know that without finances you couldn't continue. We spoke about you at our meeting a couple of weeks ago as our missionary during our missions emphasis. We had a great offering that you will be receiving soon. Thanks for the blogs, it is a good link to you.

Jon