Friday, March 12, 2010

Child of my own womb



Jacqueline and I went to visit Mama Bello this afternoon.

Recently her sister Didja was hospitalized. Didja’s chest xray shows severe disease, with an ominous shadow taking over her entire left lung. Our diagnostic capabilities exhausted, we aren’t sure what to do but pray.

I helped to care for Mama's daughter Djanatou during Djanatou's hysterectomy in 2008. Mama refers to me as a “bingel jey reedu am” or child of her own womb. So in her time of need, fearful that her sister would die, she came to me.

Didja has since been sent home, and Jacqueline and I made a visit to Mama’s house today. Mama is a widow who lives with her three co-wives, their husband dead now for the past 6 years. They have a combined total of more than 30 children and their compound is a whirlwind of activity. Half-naked babies, wearing only t-shirts, their little bottoms hanging out, run amongst mothers putting laundry on the line, washing their faces with water from the big clay jug in the garden or preparing food on mats in the courtyard. A flock of preteen girls, all dressed in their finest on their way home from Koranic school, greeted us in turn.

We waded through the crowd while calling out a chorus of hellos and found our way to Mama’s room. We sat with her and Jacqueline who speaks flawless Fulfulde, asked questions about Didja. The situation has worsened, Mama is quite worried, and keeps asking us what can be done. We both know the answer, so Jacqueline turns the conversation back to God, reminding Mama that ultimately, He is in control.

After deciding that Mama would bring Didja to the hospital to see us the following week, I shared with Mama that I will be leaving soon. She hid her face in her hands for a few moments, and when she emerged, asked if I would be back to work again. I told her I would like to return to visit friends, but I was still praying to know God’s will.

She then took my hand and thanked me. I wondered at that moment why I would ever leave this place, leave the people I care for and have cared for during their times of pain and illness. I have been so blessed by their kindness and friendship. My time here has been precious.

I would do it all over again.

No comments: