Saturday, December 1, 2007

Heros

This morning I got out of bed and limped my way into the bathroom. Prohibited from taking a shower until next week (horror) I took a birdbath, washed my hair in the sink and gave myself my first shot of blood thinner. I prepared my breakfast and was relieved to sit down and get off my throbbing leg. A short time later my host family drove me to the lab, where I completed my 4th blood draw in 3 weeks. The following 7 days will include bandage changes, stitch removal, daily shots and another trip to the lab.

I find that in all of this I have been thinking about my friends and family members who have survived life-threatening diseases. My discomfort is temporary and certainly tolerable, but how did they do it? They suffered through major abdominal surgery, weeks in the hospital, chemotherapy that stole their hair and left them weak and nauseated, steroid therapy that caused staggering weight gain and threatened their bones. How did they do it?


I am amazed by their strength. The minor inconveniences I am currently experiencing are nothing compared to what they have endured. I appreciate them now more then ever and in light of their trials, I am reminded that my health is a gift that I so often take for granted.


This is Wendy, one of my heros.

No comments: