Sunday, February 17, 2008

Birthday girl!

I just celebrated my first birthday in Africa! I have to say, it was definitely unique.


I started the morning with my language tutor Adamu, and we had a great lesson. I am currently learning the local tribal language of Fulfulde and practiced constructing sentences like “Debbo oo don haa wuro Bogo” (This woman lives in the village of Bogo)


Afterward I headed for the market that is located in front of the hospital. I greeted the ladies at the “donut shop” a little stand where they fry dough balls. One of the women told me to give her my skirt, which is her way of complementing me, saying that she liked my outfit. I told her if I were to do that, I would be walking around naked, and we couldn't have that. All of the women laughed at my joke. Joking and being clever is greatly appreciated and valued here in Meskine.


I then bought some candies and headed for the pediatric ward. I have been visiting a little girl named Esther, who lost her father this past July and was badly injured this January. She got too close to the cooking fire and sustained significant burns to the entire circumference of both thighs. I had seen her mother the day previous, and was told that Esther did not sleep well the night before due to pain.


Esther was pleased with the candies, and my promise to return the following week. However, she was quite nervous as she prepared for her daily bath and the excruciating dressing changes she would have to endure. Please pray for this family.


After lunch, I went shopping with Jacqueline. As usual, we beeped our way through a flock of children playing soccer on the road and weaved past goats and sheep on our way into town. We then parked and headed to our usual grocery store. Finding our favorite shop is always an adventure. After hopping over the gutter and dodging a fleet of mopeds to cross the road, we enter a maze of alleyways full of vendors. I am beginning to recognize landmarks and soon we make it to the “supermarket” which consists of one room with two shelving units in the middle. We are greeted and assisted by employees who obtain things off the top shelf by knocking them off with a broom and catching them before they hit the floor! Armed with our groceries, we return to the compound.


I placed my veggies on the counter, reminding myself to bleach them later, and headed out the door. I had a party to attend! The other missionaries organized a game and pizza night in honor of my birthday, and we had a great time.


In a quiet moment, I thanked God for his kindness to me. He is truly such a sweet God and I am grateful for what He has decided to do with my life. I am in a good place now, and plan on enjoying this last year of my 20s!

No comments: